Getting started with community-led housing
You can play a role in making community-led housing happen. Whether you are from a grassroots community-led housing group, a local authority, a housing association or elsewhere, we can help you to understand the motion and what it involves.
Our aim is to offer face-to-face support which help groups to get started. From there, they can create detailed business plans and become registered providers.
We can also help you to develop housing models and can discuss the legal side of things with you. We will also put you in touch with other creative schemes and mentors so that you can hear it from the experts.
If you’re not ready to get in touch with us just yet, you can find out more about the motion with the help found on this page.
These are designed to arm you with as much information as we can so that you understand what’s involved. You can then contact us so that we can answer any questions you may have.
A series of “how to” blogs can guide you through problems within the process and how they can be solved. We have also pulled together a huge group of resources so that you can truly understand the movement.
Resources that you may find helpful:
- Community Led Homes – This is a central community-led housing resource and is a partnership of these four organisations:
- Self-help Housing – helping those in housing need bring empty properties into use
- Community Self-Build Agency – helping people in housing need to build their own homes
- Community-led Housing Toolkit – a toolkit for getting a project up and running
- Delivering a community-led housing enabling service: experience and lessons from existing practice (Power to Change, authors P Duncan and J Lavis, June 2018)
- Community-Led Housing: a Key Role for Local Authorities -this document is aimed by local authorities.